It’s never a bad idea in Minnesota to read one of these articles! Here are some great tips to stay safe out there:
- Make sure your car is ready to go! Check to make sure you have enough windshield washer fluid, the right amount of air in tires, and that the battery is working properly.
- Stock your emergency kit. You should have water, snacks, jumper cables, blankets, hats, gloves, first aid kit, flashlight, shovel, and sand to help you in emergency situations.
- Drive slowly. Don’t drive faster than the conditions allow.
- Leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you. Generally, you should leave 3 to 4 seconds in normal weather. In snow/ice/wet conditions you should increase that to 10 seconds.
- Keep the gas tank at least half-full. This will insure the lines don’t freeze and if you are in an accident, it could provide valuable heat until help arrives.