If your identity is stolen, it can affect your finances, credit history and reputation.
Take Action Immediately:
- Flag credit reports. Contact the fraud department of one of the three major credit reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion). Tell them you are an identity theft victim. Ask them to place a “fraud” alert in your file and confirm that they will contact the other two companies.
- Get copies. Ask for a copy of the credit report. They are required to give you a free copy of your report if it is inaccurate because of fraud.
- Contact creditors. Contact your creditors about any accounts that have been changed or opened fraudulently. Ask to speak with someone in the security or fraud department.
- File a report. File a report with your local police. Get a copy of the police report, so you have proof of the crime.
- Get more information. For more information regarding identity theft, visit the following websites: