This is the last thing you want after a great day of catching bluegills! Here are are a few tips from the Minnesota DNR to ensure a great time on the frozen lake:
- Ice thickness guidelines for vehicles: 8 to 12 inches. For a car or small pickup, 12 to-15 inches for medium truck.
- Look for clear ice. Clear ice is generally stronger than ice with air bubbles in it or with snow on it.
- Watch out for pressure ridges or ice heaves. These can be dangerous due to thin ice and open water.
- Remember that ice is never completely safe under any conditions.
- Be prepared to leave the vehicle in a hurry. Roll windows down and discuss an emergency plan with passengers.
- Do not travel in unfamiliar areas or at night.
Call Cornerstone at 952-448-5028 to make sure you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle before you drive on the ice. Let’s make sure a loss like this would have coverage!